Sehri is the pre-dawn meal eaten by Muslims during the month of Ramadan to sustain them throughout the day while they are fasting. The best foods for sehri are the ones that provide long-lasting energy and keep you hydrated during the day. Here we mention some good and easy sehri food items:
- Complex Carbohydrates: Whole grain bread, oats, porridge, and lentils are excellent sources of complex carbohydrates that provide sustained energy and keep you full for longer periods of time.
- Protein: Eggs, chicken, beef, and fish are high in protein and keep you full throughout the day. They also help in maintaining muscle mass and keeping the body hydrated.
- Fruits and Vegetables: Fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber, and they help to keep you hydrated throughout the day. Eating fruits like bananas, dates, and watermelon during sehri provides you with a good source of energy.
- Dairy Products: Milk, yogurt, and cheese are rich in calcium, vitamins, and protein. They are also good for hydration and help to maintain bone density.
- Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, walnuts, and chia seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and help in providing sustained energy throughout the day. They also help to keep you hydrated.
It’s important to keep yourself hydrated during sehri by drinking plenty of water, coconut water, and other hydrating beverages. Avoid sugary foods, fried foods, and foods high in sodium as they can lead to dehydration and can cause fatigue during the day.
Table of Contents
- Quick and Easy Sehri Food Items 2023
- 1- Aloo Paratha Recipe.
- 2- Lassi
- 3- Eggs.
- 4- Tea
- 5- Salad
- 6- Oatmeal
Quick and Easy Sehri Food Items 2023
1- Aloo Paratha Recipe.
Benefits of paratha:
Paratha is a popular flatbread made with whole wheat flour and stuffed with various fillings. It is a good source of complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, B vitamins, and iron. Paratha can be a balanced meal when stuffed with nutritious fillings, and it’s a versatile and delicious food option that can be eaten with a variety of accompaniments.
Here’s an Aloo Paratha Recipe.
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- Water, as needed
- 4 medium-sized potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon of amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, for cooking
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, and oil. Gradually add water, and knead the mixture into a smooth dough. Cover it with a damp cloth and set it aside for 15-20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the mashed potatoes, chopped onions, green chilies, cumin seeds, garam masala, amchur powder, and salt.
- Divide the dough into equal-sized balls. Take one ball and roll it into a small circle. Place a spoonful of the potato filling in the center of the circle.
- Bring the edges of the dough together, and seal the filling inside. Flatten the dough ball slightly, and roll it out gently into a circle with a rolling pin.
- Heat a tawa or a flat griddle over medium heat. Place the rolled-out paratha on the tawa, and cook it for about 1-2 minutes, or until you see small bubbles forming on the surface.
- Flip the paratha over, and spread some oil on the surface. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until both sides are golden brown and crispy.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough balls and filling, and serve hot with yogurt, chutney, or pickles.
Enjoy your delicious Aloo Paratha!
Benefits Of Lassi:
Lassi is a traditional Indian yogurt-based drink that provides several potential health benefits. It is a rich source of protein, calcium, and probiotics that promote healthy digestion and improve gut health. Lassi can be a refreshing and delicious way to stay hydrated and cool during hot weather.
Here’s a simple recipe for Lassi, a traditional Indian yogurt-based drink:
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup of cold water
- Some ice cubes
- 2 tablespoons of sugar (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cardamom (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh mint leaves (optional)
- In a blender, combine the yogurt, cold water, ice cubes, sugar, ground cardamom, and a pinch of salt.
- Blend the mixture until it becomes smooth and frothy.
- Taste the lassi and adjust the sugar or salt as needed.
- Pour the lassi into glasses and garnish with fresh mint leaves if desired.
- Serve chilled and enjoy!
- Mango Lassi: Add 1 cup of a chopped ripe mango to the above recipe and blend until smooth.
- Rose Lassi: Add 1 tablespoon of rose water and a few drops of pink food coloring to the above recipe before blending.
- Strawberry Lassi: Add 1 cup of chopped strawberries to the above recipe and blend until smooth.
Note: You can adjust the consistency of the lassi by adding more or less water to your liking.
Benefits of eggs:
Eggs are a highly nutritious food that offers numerous health benefits. They are an excellent source of protein, contain essential vitamins and minerals, and may even help to improve heart health. Eggs can be a versatile addition to a healthy and balanced diet.
Here is a simple and easy omelet recipe that you can try:
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk or water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- Optional: cheese, chopped vegetables, ham or bacon, herbs for filling
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl and whisk them until the whites and yolks are completely combined.
- Add the milk or water, salt, and pepper to the eggs and whisk until well combined.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add the butter or oil, swirling it around the pan until melted.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and use a spatula to gently push the edges of the omelet towards the center as it starts to set.
- When the omelet is almost set but still slightly runny on top, add your filling ingredients to one side of the omelet.
- Use the spatula to fold the other side of the omelet over the filling, creating a half-moon shape.
- Cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until the filling is heated through and the eggs are fully set.
- Use the spatula to slide the omelet onto a plate and serve hot.
Enjoy your easy and delicious omelet!
Remember to pair your egg dishes with complex carbohydrates such as whole-grain bread, or vegetables to provide sustained energy throughout the day. Additionally, make sure to drink plenty of water during sehri to stay hydrated.
Benefits Of Tea:
Tea is a rich source of antioxidants, provides a natural source of caffeine, and may potentially reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Here’s a basic recipe for a classic cup of tea:
- 1 tea bag or 1-2 teaspoons of loose tea leaves
- 8 oz (1 cup) of boiling water
- Optional: sweetener (honey, sugar, etc.), milk, lemon
- Boil water in a kettle or on the stove until it reaches boiling point.
- While the water is boiling, prepare your tea bag or loose tea leaves in a strainer or infuser.
- Once the water has boiled, pour it over the tea bag or leaves in a cup.
- Let the tea steep for 3-5 minutes, depending on the desired strength.
- Remove the tea bag or infuser and discard.
- If desired, add sweetener, milk, or lemon to taste.
- Stir and enjoy!
Benefits of Salad:
For a healthy and filling sehri meal, a salad with a mix of fresh vegetables and protein can be a great option. Here’s a recipe for a delicious salad that you can try:
Here is a simple and easy salad recipe
- 2 cups of mixed greens (such as spinach, lettuce, or arugula)
- 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together the greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, chickpeas, feta cheese, and parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until the salad is evenly coated.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
This salad is packed with fiber, protein, and healthy fats to help keep you feeling full and satisfied throughout the day. You can also add other vegetables or toppings to the salad based on your personal preferences.
Benefits of Oatmeal:
Oatmeal is a great choice because it’s high in fiber, protein, and complex carbohydrates, which can help keep you feeling full and satisfied throughout the day. It’s also low in sugar, which makes it a healthy and nutritious option for sehri.
You can prepare oatmeal with water or milk, and add fruits or nuts for extra flavor and nutrition. You can also add some honey or maple syrup for sweetness, but be careful not to add too much sugar.
Here’s a simple and easy recipe for oatmeal:
- 1 cup of old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups of water or milk (or a combination of both)
- Pinch of salt
- Optional toppings: fresh or dried fruits, nuts, honey, maple syrup, or cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water or milk (or a combination of both) and salt to a boil.
- Stir in the oats and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the oats are cooked and the mixture has thickened to your desired consistency.
- Remove the pan from heat and let it sit for a minute or two to cool slightly.
- Serve the oatmeal hot in bowls and add your favorite toppings, such as fresh or dried fruits, nuts, honey, maple syrup, or cinnamon.
Note: You can adjust the ratio of oats to liquid to suit your desired consistency. For thicker oatmeal, use less liquid, and for thinner oatmeal, use more liquid. You can also use non-dairy milk, such as almond milk or coconut milk, for a vegan or dairy-free version.