Biryani is a flavorful and aromatic rice dish that is popular in many South Asian countries, including India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh. While there are many variations of Chicken biryani, the basic steps to cooking it are as follows:
Ingredient Of Chicken Biryani:
- 2 cups of long-grain basmati rice
- 1 kg of chicken cut into pieces
- 3-4 onions, sliced
- 1 cup of yogurt
- 2 tbsp of ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp of red chili powder
- 1 tsp of cumin powder
- 2-3 tbsp of ghee or oil
- 1/4 tsp of saffron strands (optional)
- 4-5 green cardamom pods, 2 bay leaves
- 4-5 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp of coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander and mint leaves for garnish
- Fried onions for garnish (optional)
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat ghee or oil and add the whole spices (cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and bay leaves). Fry for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Add the sliced onions and fry until they turn golden brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute or two.
- Now, Add the chicken pieces and fry for a few minutes until they are lightly browned.
- And also, include yogurt, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well and cook for a few minutes until the chicken is coated with the spice mixture.
- Add enough water to cover the chicken and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the meat is tender and cooked through.
- In a separate pot, bring water to a boil and add the soaked rice. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the rice is half-cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a large oven-safe pot, layer the cooked meat at the bottom, followed by a layer of rice. Repeat the layers until all the meat and rice are used up. Sprinkle the saffron strands on top.
- Cover the pot tightly with foil or a lid and place it in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until the rice is fully cooked.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and mint leaves and fried onions (if using) before serving.
Note: You can also use vegetables, paneer, or eggs instead of meat to make a vegetarian biryani. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Also: You must try Ramadan 2023- 5 Easy Recipes for Iftar.